Let Us Do The Rest

What should I do if I’m hit by an uninsured driver?

On Behalf of | Nov 5, 2019 | Firm News |

When you leave each morning for work, you most likely aren’t expecting to get in a car accident. But it can happen—to anyone, anywhere, even just minutes from arriving home. But what happens if a driver with no insurance rear-ends you at a stop sign? Who is going to pay if you have any injuries and for the damage to your vehicle?

Unfortunately, a good number of motorists still drive uninsured in the United States. In a 2017 study by the Insurance Research Council (IRC), a reported 13% of motorists drove without insurance. Also, Alabama ranked first in uninsured drivers at 18.4% in that report.

Who ends up paying?

So, if you end up in an accident with an uninsured driver, your own insurance company most likely will pay for your injuries and to repair your damaged vehicle. The minimum insurance amount in Alabama is

  • $25,000 for bodily injuries, per person
  • $50,000 maximum for all bodily injuries in one accident
  • $25,000 for property damage

Alabama also requires uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) bodily injury coverage of $25,000 per person/$50,000 an accident. However, you can opt out of this coverage in writing.

What do I do if I don’t receive full compensation?

If you have opted out of UM/UIM coverage, or your injuries costs are beyond the $25,000 limit, you need to consult a personal injury attorney. You could file a suit against the uninsured driver. Yet, often those who don’t have insurance have no money to pay for a personal injury settlement. More than likely, a personal injury attorney will work with you to deal with your own insurance company, to ensure that it adequately compensates you for any medical bills, lost wages and vehicle damage.

FindLaw Network